Skip to main content

Chatworth House

Today we toured Chatworth House. It is owned by the Duke and Duchess of Devonshire, who still live in part of the house. It has been passed down in their family since 1549. It is also the house that they used as the set of Pemberley in the Keira Knightly version of Pride and Prejudice.  
 A few photos from inside the house.


 And another of the outside. :)
 The gardens, once again, were probably my favorite part. Here is a maze in part of the gardens, as well as a few other pictures.







 The estate is so large that they have these stone markers around the gardens that tell you how far away you are from the front door of the house. I thought this was pretty funny.
 There were also several fun sculptures and art pieces in the gardens as well, like this umbrella piece.
 Get ready for the biggest scandal of the century: The Lion King wasn't actually set in Africa, it was set in the Peaks District in England!!! How do I know? I found Pride Rock in the Chatworth Gardens today. :)

That's it for now. Cheers! 

Comments

  1. Wow! That is an amazing place! Your pictures are so good! Love the garden ones and of the flower pedals on the path. And finding pride rock is pretty scandalous! What a beautiful place! Love and miss you! Thanks for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Edinburgh

 We're in Edinburgh! Here is the Scott monument, honoring Scottish author Walter Scott. It is the largest monument to a writer in the world.  Edinburgh castle!  How Scottish... I love it! :) We went to an adorable little tea shop and had fruit tea, scones, and clotted cream! It was so yummy!  This is the tea shop.  Today we hiked King Arthur's seat, which is a big hill/ridge just outside of the city. A view of the city from the top of King Arthur's Seat. This is the "birthplace" of Harry Potter because it is the cafe where JK Rowling wrote the first Harry Potter book. Look at this awesome Scottish hat!!!!! Love to you all!

Hello, London!

The British Museum of Natural History I made it to London!!!!! It is so charming here - that’s the best word I can think of to describe it. The accents, the buildings, and landscape - everything just makes me want to smile. All of the buildings and houses are either made of brick or are white, and the part of London that we are in is full of international embassies and beautiful museums. A beautiful little church I stumbled upon just a few blocks from my flat. I made it from the airport to my flat by myself by taking the tube, which was fun. I felt so resourceful. :) Once I made it to the flat, we met up with our group and took a quick walking tour of the area of London we are in. We took a quick walk through Hyde park, which was beautiful. There were walking paths and bikers and lots of people out for an afternoon stroll. However, it was blustery and very windy, so everyone was wiping pollen and dust from their eyes the whole time. The other thing I lo

Last Day in London

Yesterday we got to go on a tour of St. Paul's cathedral, which was amazing! It's a stunning building, and even more impressive is the fact that it survived the Blitz during WWII and is still standing. During the tour, I learned that they had a full-time volunteer crew during the war that stayed and put out fires on the roof all night during the bombings. The cathedral survived largely thanks to their efforts. I got to climb 528 stairs up to the top of the dome to see the view of the city. Totally worth it! This is the more modern side of the city. From this view you can see the Thames, the Millennium Bridge, and the Globe Theater.  Another view from the top.  After climbing all that way, I had to get a picture. :) After St. Paul's, we went a little ways outside the city to visit the London Cemetery, where many important figures are buried. This is a view looking back at London from a hill near the cemetery. Finally, some green! I love